In addition to travel, I’m also passionate about healthy living and that’s why this article caught my eye. It’s a list of Shape Magazine’s Top 25 Healthy Travel Tips. There’s some good ones in there, including my favourites:
- Be a picky eater: When I was in Australia recently, I took a lot of long bus trips, which included stopovers at greasy spoon-esque diners. Now, I’m not a food snob, and can usually find something I like. But I gave up after the ‘chicken’ I ate at Matilda’s Roadhouse in Kybong clearly wasn’t chicken — or edible, for that matter. Seriously, it’s better to go hungry than to end up sick on the bus.
- Take a brisk walk around the airport before your flight: This is especially important if you’re going on a long flight. I usually do some yoga moves before a long flight. Yeah, I get funny looks, but so what!
- Check with your gym: Chances are they have a deal with other gyms in other cities that will allow you to workout wherever you go.
- Bring the workout with you: You don’t have to carry dumbbells around in your suitcase, but a few resistance bands will work wonders on the road — if you find the motivation to use them, that is.
- Buy new workout clothes: If you plan on shopping at your destination, be sure to make an extra purchase: workout clothes. If you’re like me, you’ll want to try them on– and out — right away.