Introducing Grant Martin, Gadling’s newest blogger.
1. Where was your photo taken: Halfway between Marrakech and Essaouria, Morroco
2. Where do you live now: Ann Arbor, Michigan; too much time in New York; not enough time in Kalamazoo.
3. Scariest airline flown: Hands down, Air Plus Comet. Some strange discount carrier, they operate(d) a budget trans-oceanic airline into Spain. Neither the New York nor the South American office could agree on departure time, and even when we showed up at JFK they couldn’t tell us what gate the plane was at. The passengers clapped when we landed.
4. Favorite city/country/place: Split three ways among Hong Kong, Buenos Aires and the sand dune just outside of Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon MI.
5. Most remote corner of the globe visited: Sam Mountain in the Mekong Delta, South Vietnam. The nicest Buddhist temple is perched halfway up the hill, free of any tourists and completely at peace.
6. Favorite guidebook series: Definitely not Lonely Planet, they’ve led me astray far too many times. Probably Timeout if I had to pick.
7. Hotel, hostel or other: Apartment all the way. The BEST places I have ever stayed abroad have been apartments that I’ve researched and booked online, either via vrbo or craigslist. Less expensive than a hotel, more character and much more space.
8. Favorite Travel Book: Dark Star Safari, by Paul Theroux. A sobering look into the way Africans live and how much trouble the continent is in, with enough of a story line to keep you interested.
9. Country with the most beautiful women/men: Sweden. Oh my holy goodness, Sweden. Even the girl putting the chocks under the tires of the airplane was beautiful.
10a. Favorite means of transportation: Airbus A330. Power ports, audio & video on demand and a quiet smooth ride. You can’t go wrong.
10b. Favorite airplane manufacturer: BOEING.