Does food play a role in where you decide to take your vacation? For those interested in taking a delicious trip, Hotels.com surveyed 27,000 international travelers to find out what they believed the best destinations for cuisine were.
According to news.com.au, 32% of respondents said Italy had the best food because of its mouth-watering pizza, pasta and gelato. France, the country of baguettes and pastries, came in second with 24% of the votes. And, in third place with 18% of the votes was Japan with their sashimi, sushi and tempura. Next came mainland China, followed by Spain, the United States, Mexico, Thailand, Taiwan and India.
When the survey analyzed American’s food and travel habits, they found that:
- On average, Americans spend 25% to 49% of their daily budget on food when traveling abroad
- Americans believed the top three places for food on a budget were the United States, Italy and Mexico
- Fifty-six percent of Americans named barbeque as the must-try dish when visiting the United States
- Americans believe France is the number one destination for a posh dining experience
- Americans named the United States, Italy and Germany as the best places to go for family dining
“Sampling the local cuisine when travelling can be such a rewarding experience and it’s no wonder it plays such a big part in the decision-making process for travellers,” Hotels.com spokeswoman Katherine Birch said.
What’s your favorite food destination?