While AOL Travel has been exploring the intersection of booze and travel this week, we’ve been eavesdropping on the world’s airport bars. As anyone who’s ever overpaid for a pint while killing a three-hour delay knows, airport bars are curious places. They can be sad and infuriating and lonely. Or places of wonder and serendipity. Sometimes they’re just places where the tipsy and bored tweet.
Also, you just never know who you might meet.
Here then, in 41 tweets, is how the past week looked from the stools of the world’s airport bars.
Disappointed that the bar in the Nashville airport doesn’t have a “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” Bloody Mary special.
- Steven Hyden (@Steven_Hyden) July 28, 2013
The airport bartender was reticent to give another drink to the intoxicated man at the bar. Good luck to those on his flight. #PaxEx
- Mary Kirby (@APEXmary) July 28, 2013
- Josh Evans (@joshevans221) July 28, 2013
Now taking my second meal at MSP. Bad news? 6-hour delay. Good news? My wife just got carded at the airport bar. That’s a net win.
- Willie Geist (@WillieGeist) July 28, 2013
Woman next to me at airport bar isn’t sure monogamy exists. Maybe her morals wouldn’t allow for it, but she can’t speak for the human race.
- Allison Isaacson (@AllisonIsaacson) July 29, 2013
The words of my mother after receiving our last airport bar bill ” Well, we just drank our hotel room for the night”.
- Kathleen Shanahan (@Kath_Marie) July 29, 2013
The woman next to me at the airport bar is extolling the virtues of whipped cream vodka.
- Marissa Conrad (@Marissa_Conrad) July 29, 2013
Got to the airport on time and still almost missed my flight, damn airport bar. Goodbye Las Vegas until next time.
- Dylon (@IamDylon) July 29, 2013
I am alone at an airport bar drinking straight whiskey + listening to Bon Iver. Nothing about this screams emotional issues #JFK
- karen edith millar (@karenmillar) July 29, 2013
I’m never a nervous flyer but had a laugh at this being adv’d on tv in the airport bar. First flight in a long time. pic.twitter.com/4yiskfvF6F
- Bill Quinn (@overheardprod) July 29, 2013
Having a serious debate about if 5am is too early to hit the airport bar #vacation
- Johnny Tsunami (@therealjsween) July 29, 2013
I tested my ‘you can’t drink too much tequila at the airport bar’ theory. Sadly, the test results do… http://t.co/wfTJigZz7I
- The Godfather (@elperrogrande) July 29, 2013
I am sitting in the airport bar drinking a Shock Top and freaking out. I am afraid of flying!
- amoderncyrano (@amoderncyrano) July 29, 2013
It’s a hard reality as a parent when your excited to go to the bar at an airport for down time
- Laura Warniment (@WarnimentLaura) July 29, 2013
Overheard #Boise airport sports bar, woman on a mobile phone: “I get to meet Al Gore tomorrow! So exciting!”
- John Katsilometes (@johnnykats) July 29, 2013
- Marissa B (@MKBreton) July 29, 2013
Dude ordered the fish at this airport bar. Bold.
- Joe Lazarus (@JoeLaz) July 30, 2013
Airport bar is playing Best Coast. What a warm welcome back.
- BEST COAST (@best_coast) July 30, 2013
The pianist at this airport bar is playing the Charlie Brown theme song
- Daniel K. (@fuzzysquid) July 30, 2013
Why does everyone at an airport bar want to tell you their life story? #imnotyourbuddy
- B.J. Arbuckle (@hoosierfarmer) July 30, 2013
Airport bars think of everything. Outlets in front of every seat at the bar. #Win
- Samantha Higbie (@SamHigbie) July 30, 2013
Sitting at the airport bar with Dad, having a beer, and sharing our favorite fishing memories over the past five days. Absolute perfection.
- Amanda Houser (@Amanda_Houser) July 30, 2013
- Crafting A Nation (@CraftingANation) July 30, 2013
Five out of five guys at Pearson Airport’s Beaches Bar order Coors Light. Two out of five also do Jäger bombs.
- Christina Palassio (@mcpalassio) July 31, 2013
- Socially Autistic (@tribiggs) July 31, 2013
LOL @ people who make the bartender rattle off all the drink prices at the airport bar. Dude it’s the airport, just plan on overpaying.
- nepaul (@nepaul) July 31, 2013
This airport bar thing sells American pancakes all day, so im having them for dinner. Judge me.
- Amber Kennedy (@Ambzidoodle) July 31, 2013
The bar at the Columbus airport was open at 4:30 am (before the Starbucks). I’m pretty sure that bartender has the worst job ever.
- Katie Jones (@kmjonec) July 31, 2013
Was about to walk into the airport bar, BUT they were playing Creed… #swerve
- Keagan Bran (@Keagan_Bran) July 31, 2013
There’s nothing like sitting in a busy airport when your flight is delayed and all the empty seats at the one bar are filled.
- Donna Brazile (@donnabrazile) August 1, 2013
Back at the Cleveland airport bar. Waitress who knows EVERYTHING about pres history being flirted w/ by a guy who knows nothing, is drunk.
- gareth hughes (@garethchughes) August 2, 2013
Sitting at an airport bar drinking $20 beer #FirstWorldProblems
- Paul Morris Jr (@paulmorrisjr) August 2, 2013
- Seth Baron (@sethbaron) August 2, 2013
I mostly want to travel somewhere so I can day drink in an airport bar.
- Marissa Renee (@MarissaLuke) August 2, 2013
The bartender at the airport bar has too much hair product in this early in the morning.
- Kate Malmon (@saintkate) August 2, 2013
Home is where the airport bar is.
- Christian Gollayan (@heyxtian) August 2, 2013
Little girl in the airport bar is rocking out to Selena Gomez while eating French fries. Party on, kiddo.
- Your Mom (@MostBoringGirl) August 2, 2013
I wasn’t ID’ed at the airport bar. Huge blow to my age self esteem.
- Lee (@leeheffner) August 2, 2013
Airport bar. Snow Patrol. My life is one repetitive cliche. #insideknowledge
- Rachel Stoll (@RachelStoll) August 2, 2013
Always and forever the only woman at the airport bar. http://t.co/jKFjRSb53j
- bird of youth (@birdofyouth) August 2, 2013
The LGA Delta terminal airport bar. Order drinks via iPad and they appear. Delightful. http://t.co/wOgGX9LTPq
- Paige Fogarty (@pfogs) August 2, 2013