With a mountain backdrop and a Centennial celebration this year, The Grove Park Inn in Asheville just might be one of the East Coast’s more romantic destinations. It has its fair share of luxury guests too – President Obama visited the property during his first term.
As part of our coverage of the country’s most “over-the-top” Valentine’s Day offerings, we’re showcasing their “Spoil Me Rotten” romance package, valued at $25,000.
This hotel may be tucked away in the North Carolina mountains, but the big price tag yields big perks for guests, including:
Five nights in the Presidential Suite
Chauffeur driven Rolls Royce airport pickup/drop-off
Land Rover for use throughout the stay
French Champagne and crystal flutes
An entire day at the spa with treatments and lunch
Private hot air balloon ride and a private cooking class with Horizons Chef, followed by dinner.
[Image Credit: Grove Park Inn]
“I hope you’re not a monk, because I’d love go Tibet with you.” Cue sound of detonating bomb.
Our friends at Lonely Planet recently compiled a list of the best worst travel-themed pick-up lines, via Twitter. The results are hilarious, as well as cringe-inducing. Some of our favorites:
“This may not be India, but since I saw you, I’ve felt like I’m in Lucknow.”
“You must be from Paris, because you’re driving me in Seine.”
“Hey girl, you’re looking Varanasi.”
“Would you allow me Dubai you a drink?”
“Did you overstay your visa? Because you’ve got ‘fine’ written all over you.”
We were always taught that puns are the lowest form of humor. But it seems there’s a time and a place for everything (we were also taught not to use cliches in our writing). Here’s hoping these come-ons give you the, uh, tools you need for a great Valentine’s Day. Good luck out there.
[Photo credit: Flickr user debaird™]
For the past week, we’ve been noting all things luxe as they relate to Valentine’s Day travel and tracking the best and the biggest through February 14 in this “over-the-top” series. Today’s offering comes to us from New York City’s Warwick hotel.
Legend has it that publishing magnate William Randolph Hearst built the grand Warwick New York Hotel for his true love, actress Marion Davies. This year, the historic hotel is celebrating the holiday with a package called “The Big Heart.”
For $21,400, guests enjoy:
Two-night stay in a newly renovated “On the Avenue” Suite, decorated with couple’s favorite flowers
Personal photographer to record the couple’s visit
Chauffeured limousine transportation throughout the stay
In-room couple’s massage
Romantic in-suite dinner experience as well as breakfast daily
Welcome bottle of Cristal Champagne with keepsake monogrammed flutes
$10,000 gift card to Cartier
[Image Credit: Warwick New York]
Next to the holiday season, Valentine’s Day is the most popular time for couples in love to get engaged. And what better way to ask your love if they want to spend the rest of your lives together than with a great travel experience?
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, the city’s newest Kimpton property, has designed just that. Valued at $100,000 but priced at just $80,000 (did we really say just?) this package is a pretty great deal, as it includes an engagement ring, proposal and wedding for up to 200 guests!
Dubbed “Diamond in the Sky” the package includes:
· Engagement ring from Bernie Robbins worth $50,000
· Private pavilion in Stratus Rooftop Lounge
· Dedicated photographer to capture the special moment
· Complimentary bottle of Veuve Cliquot and a round of signature cocktails
· Two nights in hotel’s Majestic Suite with sweeping views of Independence Park
· Round-the-clock car service from Uber (private town car service on demand)
· Complimentary in-room brunch by James Beard Award-winning Chef Guillermo Tellez
· In-suite couple’s massage
· Complimentary passes and admission to popular museums and attractions in the city
· Guaranteed late check-out
· First-class flight home (in the Continental U.S. only)
· Wedding reception for up to 200 guests in Hotel Monaco’s sparkling Lafayette Ballroom
While it’s hard to imagine that anything priced at $80,000 is “reasonable,” this sounds like a pretty good deal, given the value of the engagement ring!
Want to know what other romance-themed packages we’ve found over the past week? Check out our previous over-the-top coverage here.
[Image Credit: Hotel Monaco Philadelphia]
We’re categorizing all things romantic over the next few weeks here on Gadling, focusing on “over-the-top” travel packages that allow you to declare your love in true high style.
Today’s package comes from one of Mexico’s most luxurious resorts, Capella Pedregal, located in Cabo San Lucas. (You may recall that Capella’s Washington, DC property is the subject of our ongoing “Birth of a Hotel” feature.)
This February, Capella Pedregal has unveiled a “Month of Romance” series of packages, including the sumptuous Passion Ablaze offering, whcih includes:
· Five nights Beachfront Suite accommodations, located directly on the beach
· Luxury car airport transportation
· Private Yacht Ride to Lover’s Beach, with on-board Champagne and dinner on the beach
· Custom piece of jewelry for each night of stay, designed by Chan Luu
· 80-minute Art of Couples Massage
· Private beach-side astronomy lesson
· Private beach dinner for two
· Welcome bottle of Clase Azul Super Anejo tequila
· All food and beverage, including a private dinner in the La Cava wine cellar
· Romantic rose petal turndown
· Glass blown heart memento
While the package is a rather mind-blowing $40,000, it’s worth noting that the one-bedroom beachfront suites generally run at about $2,500 a night for these dates, and so the package isn’t really that much of a stretch from a regular week’s stay.
If you’re still looking to go luxe but not break the bank, the three-night “Heart to Heart” package, featuring many of the same amenities in an ocean view guestroom starts at $3,290.
[Image Credit: Capella Pedregal]