1. Where was your photo taken: In Casablanca, Morocco. It was right before the US presidential election, and the barber, while holding his straight razor up to my throat, jokingly asked, “Are you voting for George Bush?” I suddenly became the world’s biggest John Kerry fan.
2. Where do you live now: Columbia, Missouri, USA.
3. Scariest airline flown: Probably a flight from Quito to Loja, Ecuador. The guy sitting next to me said the airport in Loja had one of the most difficult runways on which to land, which was a little unsettling. But I got through the flight just fine– thanks, Dramamine!
4. Favorite city/country/place: Krakow, Poland. It’s got a huge, scenic town square, friendly (and beautiful) people, and some of the tastiest food and drink in the world.
5. Most remote corner of the globe visited: The Amazonian jungle in Ecuador– one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, although the experience was ruined because it didn’t have WiFi.
6. Favorite guidebook series: An upstart new publication called Lonely Planet, mainly for the map on the first two pages.
7. Person you’d most like to interview for Gadling: Noted travel expert Scarlett Johansson.
8. The most unusual food you’ve ever eaten: Piranha from a jungle fishing trip. Mmmm.
9. Where do you hide your emergency cash: I used to play poker occasionally when I lived in Prague, and I’d always hide any winnings in my shoes.
10. Dream travel destination: I have big travel crushes on Russia and Mongolia. I’m always looking at pictures of them, and trying to find out more about them, but I don’t think they even know I exist.
Got a question? Comment? Job offer? Marriage proposal? E-mail me at aaronhotfelder (at) gmail (dot) com.