These phone companies are currently offering free calls from the United States to Japan to help get in touch with friends and family:
- AT&T Wireless: Free calls and text messaging through March 31
- AT&T Landline : Customers get up to 60 minutes free, must call upon receiving invoice to request adjustment.
- Ooma: Free calls through 3/25 4PM.
- MetroPCS: Free calls and text messaging
- Skype: Free WiFi access for people in Japan through Skype Access.
- Sprint: Free calls and text messaging through April 10.
- T-Mobile: Free calls and text messaging + free Wi-Fi calls to and from Japan through March 31 (retroactive from March 11).
- Verizon Wireless: Free calls and text messaging through April 10.
- Verizon Landlines: Free calls through April 10
- Verizon Phone Cards: Free calls through April 10
- Vonage: Free calls through March 18
As many phone circuits are pretty heavily congested in Japan, try and keep calls as short as possible, or use online tools like Facebook or Twitter instead.
Know of any other phone companies offering free calls? Leave a comment below!
[Photo: AP Photo/David Guttenfelder]