Living in South Florida, we head to the beach a lot. I love relaxing on the sand, in the sun, with a beer on one side, a dog on the other, and a magazine with lots of pictures in front of me. Occasionally, I gaze out at the paragliders and envy them their active lifestyles. Then, I take a long, slow sip of my cold drink and remember why I came to the beach. Yes… relaxing on the sand is wonderful.
If you’re among the people who thinks cooling it on the sand is boring, and you’re rather get up and DO something, you need to check out Concierge’s list of 11 Totally Active Beaches and their attendant activities, which includes:
- Scuba diving in Turks & Caicos
- Kiteboarding in Essaouira, Morocco
- Sea Kayaking in San Blas Islands, Panama
- Surfing in Bali, Indonesia
- Hiking in Washington State
- Mountain biking in Dominica
- Sailing in Captiva Island, Florida
- Fly fishing in Isla Holbox, Mexico
- Golf in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Wakeboarding/Waterskiing in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Tennis in Kiawah Island, South Carolina
To the list, I’d like to include whale watching in Hermanus, South Africa. Although it sounds passive, it can be a very active endeavor.