I’m typically a homebody when it comes to Christmas, but with our family now scattered, I’m spending Christmas away from home for the first time since I was 11. I’m looking forward to it — sort of. We’re going somewhere warmer, where there’s a hot tub and skiing and lots of good food. But travelling around Christmas time when everyone else is in a mad rush to get to their family too? Ugh.
- Bring your cell phone charger with you in your carry-on — that way, you’ll have it in case you’re stranded or delayed by poor weather.
- Don’t pre-wrap Christmas gifts if you’re travelling by air — they’ll be un-wrapped by security.
- Arrive for your flight on time. And expect to wait in line anyway.
- Book early. If you haven’t do so already, do it now.
- Don’t bring your car to the airport — it will be packed. Take a cab or public transportation instead.
- If you do bring your car to the airport, pack some blankets and pillows in the trunk. If you end up spending the night at the airport, you’ll be set.
- Consider flying on Christmas day. The flights will be much cheaper.