Over the past 24 hours, we’ve received more information from airlines, agencies and charities helping to provide relief following the 7.0 earthquake that rocked Haiti.
While people around the world wait for word from loved ones, the death toll continues to increase – latest reports have heard estimates of up to 50,000 dead. Airlines, agencies and government officials are busy bringing relief workers into Haiti to help out, but there are ways you can help out.
Here’s an updated list (as of Jan. 14) of ways you can lend support to Haiti during its time of crisis.
Donate your money. There are a host of charities on the ground in Haiti and taking your donations. We’ve highlighted a few of them:
- Oxfam has hundreds of people in Haiti helping with relief efforts. You can donate on the American or UK site, depending on where you’re located.
- AmeriCares has pledged $5 million to Haitian quake relief, and is soliciting donations to a general emergency disaster relief fund to help it accomplish that.
- CARE is sending relief workers into the city of Port-au-Prince and needs funds to support its efforts. Suggested donations range from $50 to $1,000, but you can name your own amount if you prefer.
- MSNBC.com has a great list of charitable organizations that are present in Haiti and in need of contributions.
Text. You can donate $10 to the American Red Cross earthquake relief fund for Haiti by texting the word “Haiti” to 90999
Sing. We just got word that For Darfur, Inc., the teen-run non-profit organization and contributor to Doctors Without Borders, has announced a partnership with major recording artists to promote a “CONCERT FOR HAITI” in Miami. The promoter’s proceeds, including $1 of every ticket sale, will go to Doctor’s Without Borders to aid in the humanitarian efforts for families displaced by the earthquake that recently struck Haiti.
Donate your miles.
- Delta Air Lines is allowing customers to donate SkyMiles to Red Cross to through SkyWish.
- United Airlines offers points donations through the Red Cross via its Mileage Plus Charity Miles program.
- American Airlines has set up a donation page and is giving away 250 bonus miles for a minimum $50 donation, or 500 bonus miles for a donation of $100 or more to the American Red Cross
- JetBlue has established a donation page on its website allowing travelers to donate to the American Red Cross.
Go to Haiti: Our friends over at the Matador network are working on organizing a volunteer trip to Haiti to help with rebuilding efforts.
If you’re waiting on word from friends and family members, the U.S. State Department Operations Center said Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti should call 1-888-407-4747.