The telecommunications industry is working on an initiative that should put a smile on the faces of travelers all around the world – a single mobile phone charger standard. By January 1, 2012, the new “Universal Charging Solution” will become a reality. The format is based upon the MicroUSB plug, and the standard also includes new rules for energy efficiency.
One of the driving forces behind the new development is T-Mobile, who plan to have the standard in place across their entire handset lineup. The operator already has a fairly large number of MicroUSB phones in their assortment (Nexus One, Motorola CLIQ and CLIQ XT along with various Blackberry devices).
Another part of their push towards the standard is the announcement of several innovative chargers. Each of these new MicroUSB chargers already complies with the strict energy efficiency proposals with smart features like low power LED indicators and Energy Star level 5 ratings.
The assortment includes a car charger ($19.99), a wall charger ($29.99) and a neat 2-in-1 wall/car charger ($39.99). The chargers are for sale at T-mobile.com and will be available in T-Mobile retail stores on June 19.
If you currently own a MicroUSB equipped phone, you can win one of these chargers, just by leaving a comment below.
- To enter, simply leave a comment
- The comment must be left before Thursday June 17 2010 at 5:00 PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Three Prize Winners will be randomly selected to receive one T-Mobile MicroUSB charger (Gadling will pick the type of charger you win, we have one of each).
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, and the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- The total value of each prize is approximately $29.99 (car or wall charger) or $39.99 (2-in-1 car/wall charger).
- Click here for the complete official rules of this giveaway.