In a move that might even make Danny Ocean rethink his plans, the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas just announced it would cancel its $25,000 casino chips in an effort to thwart thieves who hit the casino a few weeks ago.
Associated Press reports the luxury Las Vegas casino and hotel is canceling the high-roller chip to send a message to thieves: the chips are worthless if they aren’t redeemed by April 22. Apparently, a man in a jumpsuit stole $1.5 million in chips from the casino and made off on his motorcycle two weeks ago. AP reports the majority of the stolen money was in the form of $25,000 chips.
The hotel also advises guests who might have $25,000 chips lying around to cash them in now, before the chips are out of commission.
We’re just wondering: If you had a $25,000 chip from the Bellagio, would you have it just lying around in your coin jar?
Gus Smithhisler carves pumpkins like nobody’s business. I saw him at work this past Saturday at Jack Hanna’s Fall Fest at the Columbus Zoo where Gus was turning the most enormous pumpkins into animal art. Being ever so on my toes, I grabbed his card and contact information.
Gus has emailed me back to let me know of his upcoming engagements. If you get a chance to see him at work, don’t miss it. Since fall is officially here, consider this a fall festival kick off. Gus is appearing at a few festivals in addition to his Las Vegas gig. By the way, if you go to his Web site, you’ll see his handy work. He started out a few years ago at the Indiana State Fair and his business keeps growing.
- Harvest Festival, North Market, Columbus, Oct. 6 (am)
- Giant Pumpkin Weigh Off, Chillicothe, Ohio, Oct. 6 (pm)
- Bellagio Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, Oct. 8-9 (This is the 2nd installation. The first is already completed)
- Ashtabula County Covered Bridge Festival, Ashtabula, Ohio, Oct. 13
- Circleville Pumpkin Show (tentative), Circleville, Ohio, Oct. 17-19
- Cincinnati Zoo (tentative) Cincinnati, Ohio, Oct. 20-21
- Bumpkin Pumpkin Festival, Oil City, Pennsylvania, Oct. 26-27
- Bellagio Hotel and Casino, November 5-6.
If you do see Gus, he may give you some pumpkin seeds so you can grow your own monsters at home. The photo is from last year’s zoo event. Gus’s daughter helps him from time to time.