New Orleans is one of my favorite towns of all time. It’s like a second home to me; there’s no other city I’ve visited more without actually living there. It’s unfortunate that I’ve never been during Jazzfest, though, because our sister-site, Blogging New Orleans, sure makes it look like a blast. They’ve spent the past weekend partaking in all of the festivities, and meticulously documenting every lick of the guitar and po’boy bite so that those unfortunate souls who couldn’t make it this year can still get their kicks.
Let’s take a look at some of the highlights from the first weekend:
- Jazz Fest Fashion — “…there is not a much sadder sight than a middle aged man in a baseball cap ogling a nubile twenty-something and then trying to strike up a conversation…”
- Jazzfest: This Blue’s For You — “Even at Jazzfest on a Sunday afternoon, sometimes a girl can get the blues.”
- Jazz Fest: Hot 8 Brass Band — “Not only is the music good but a great deal of enjoyment comes from the energy that pours off the stage.”
- Jazz Fest: First Impressions — A look at Jazzfest from the prospective of a first timer.
- The Lower 9th: A hidden history of jazz — “It’s fair to say that jazz has revolutionized western music, a fact that makes its early vilification by federal and city law enforcement all the more absurd.”
The second and last weekend of Jazzfest 2007 takes place from May 4-6, so make sure you bookmark Blogging New Olreans and check back to see what you missed.