Does anyone ever read the fine print when purchasing airfare or booking a hotel room? I’ll be honest — I never do. But Christopher Elliott and his band of smart consumers do, and he wrote a quick piece on “5 travel traps lurking in the fine print.” They are,
- Caution: our ships may sink
- We’re not responsible for your checked luggage
- Something stolen from your room? Tough luck
- We can take your rental car back anytime we want
- We remove your miles and change our program rules whenever we please
Not that any of this will actually get me to read the fine print, but I now peacefully accept that most major companies who require me to sign a contract can rip me off, steal my belongings, and even kill me without an ounce of responsibility. Surprise, surprise. It’s a sad realization in a world of lawyers and people who will do anything and everything to sue.
Head over to Elliott’s blog to read the details.