Last week we announced the launch of Hyatt’s new promotion on their Resorts Facebook page, the Best of All Worlds program. Hyatt has asked Gadling to pick two lucky winners for their own free night at any Hyatt resort. But we wondered … just why is Hyatt doing this? What’s the motivation behind the promotion? We caught up with Doug Sears, general manager of the Grand Hyatt Kauai, to get the dish on the free stays.
Q. Why did Hyatt decide to launch the Best of All Worlds program?
A. People travel to experience something different than their everyday life. Many travel to learn about different cultures and do activities that might not be readily available to them where they live. Hyatt Resorts are located in uniquely different locations that can provide visitors the opportunity to do just these things in a comfortable setting.
Q. What is new and exciting about your property?
A. We are currently renovating our guest rooms to bring the beauty of Kauai indoors. With clean and simple furniture, the 600 square foot rooms are maximized while creating a comfortable atmosphere for guests. Elements of Hawaii’s culture are ever present from the artwork which is based on petroglyphs found in nearby sandstone to the headboard carved with the shape of native Hapuu ferns. Our Hawaiian classic style melds a relaxed yet timeless elegance.
We also are very committed to reducing our environmental footprint and have an exciting new opportunity for guests where they can rent hybrid cars by the hour from Green Car Hawaii. We are the first resort in Hawaii to offer this. It is modeled on car sharing programs. Next year they will be adding full electric vehicles to their fleet and slowly weeding out the hybrids. We are hoping we will be able to power these cars directly from our photovoltaic system that currently creates clean power for the resort.Q. Your campaign is all about the best of all worlds, what are some of the best activities on and off that hotel goers could enjoy?
A. The resort’s water wonderland featuring a quiet adult pool, active river pool, 150-ft water slide and saltwater lagoon provides endless fun. In addition there’s:
- The National Tropical Botanical Garden is nearby with lovely gardens to tour.
- Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park make for great sightseeing and hiking.
- If adventure is your style there are ATV rides, ziplining, kayaking, horseback riding, and more all available nearby.
- Spend the day simply driving and enjoying the island’s beauty, stop at some beaches and waterfalls along the way.
- Make your vacation more meaningful by volunteering at one of our ENRICH program partners – The Kauai Humane Society, National Tropical Botanical Garden, Hui o Laka, or Surfrider Foundation.
Q. Since the recession, have you noticed any changes in the way people are vacationing? Do people spend more time relaxing or more time doing activities?
A. I think there is still a nice mix of active days and relaxing days. Most people do at least one or two activities while here, whether it is a sunset cruise or something more active like a bike or kayak tour, but everyone is looking for great value for their time and money spent.
Q. We’ve heard that some of the resorts are hosting special offers related to this program, if travelers come to your resort, will they be able to enjoy any complementary services or offers?
A. Free and nearly free things to do at the resort include:
- Make a lei.
- Learn traditional Hawaiian weaving.
- Play, play, play in the water wonderland
- Enjoy live Hawaiian music (and a spectacular view) each night from 6-8pm at Seaview Terrace.
- Get your picture taken with the beautiful parrots and cockatoos in our lobby atrium at Parrot Talk
- Learn to play the ukulele.
- Talk story and learn some area history with local woodcarver, Jack Churchill.
- Take a scenic hike along the Mahaulepu Historical Trail that begins across the beach to the east of the hotel. Ask the concierge for a map with information on native plants and history along the way.
Intrigued? Don’t forget to sign up for the Gadling Giveaway for a chance to win a free night at any Hyatt Resort!