With fall foliage reaching its peak, I was reminded of a zipline tour canopy tour I took through the trees in Ohio this past June.
There are several zipline tour options. Pennsylvania, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina also have zipline adventure offerings, although not all are canopy tours.
In an Escapes article in the New York Times, Roger Mummert gives a humorous account of his own experience at Ski Mountain Ski Area in Pennsylvania where he went with his teenage daughter for a bonding outing.
At the end of the article, he summarizes the highlights of each of the following places:
- Spring Mountain Ski Area, Spring Mount, Pa.
- Snö Mountain Ski Resort, Scranton, Pa.
- Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Farmington, Pa.
- Hocking Hills Canopy Tours, Rockbridge, Oh.
- Ace Adventure Resort, Oak Hill, W.Va.
- Passages to Adventure, Fayetteville, W.Va.
- Organ Cave, Ronceverte, W.Va.
- Scream Time Zip Line, Boone, N.C.
- Carolina Adventure World, Winnsboro, S.C.
After visiting each Web site, I noticed that several have Halloween activities. Remember, zipline tours are truly for a multiage crowd. I was happy to see that the Hocking Hills Canopy Tours made it to Mummert’s list. I had can still recall the whirring sound the cable made each time I zipped across.