You’ve heard about the bed bugs, the dirty sheets and grimy carpets, but have you actually stayed in one of these hotels? Thanks for your fellow travelers you can avoid sharing bed sheets with the guests before you (and before them, and before them). TripAdvisor announced the top 10 dirtiest hotels in America, based on comments from customers and travelers on the popular travel review site.
Grab your antibacterial gel, hold your nose and watch where you step – these 10 hotels are sure to gross out even the most carefree traveler (there’s a reason health codes exist, folks). These hotels just make you just want to scream, eewwwwwwwww and run for the showers (which are hopefully clean, wherever you are).
Here are the 2010 Top 10 Dirtiest Hotels in America, and a few comments from the guests who stepped foot inside the rooms:
- Heritage Marina Hotel, San Francisco, California: “This hotel is like in a horrible horror movie! The bed was a nightmare. It smelled like urine and had strange spots.”
- Days Inn Eureka/Six Flags, Eureka, Missouri: “If Hell had a hotel it would be something like this.”
- Tropicana Resort Hotel, Virginia Beach, Virginia: “We called the Virginia Beach health department and filed a complaint. We do not recommend this Place to any human being.”
- Super 8 Virginia Beach/At the Ocean, Virginia Beach, Virginia: “I am still recovering from my stay in this hell-hole.”
- Quality Inn, Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania: “Our room looked like something from a very bad horror movie. I was scared to sleep in the bed. Just looking at it made me want to itch.”
- New York Inn, New York City, New York: “We were greeted on our arrival by a cleaner sitting on our bed smoking and watching TV.”
- Parisian Hotel & Suites, Miami Beach, Florida: “I had been bitten on my chin several times, my hands, forearms, legs and feet. At least 15% of my body was covered in red, burning, bites.”
- Capistrano Seaside Inn, Capistrano Beach, California: “We spilled water on the floor and cleaned it, and the towel turned brown from all the dirt on the ground.”
- Desert Lodge, Palm Springs, California: “Mold smell and bugs! Unavailable staff. Dirty sheets and bath tub was gross.”
- Continental Oceanfront Hotel South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida: “I felt more dirty getting out of the shower than getting in.”
Gadling blogger Mike Barish tempted fate at the Hotel Carter, last year’s winner of the dirtiest hotel award. Have a hotel horror story? Share with us the worst place you’ve ever stayed.