Every year, the food vendors at state fairs around the nation compete to come up with the most over-the-top fried food product.
The Texas State Fair is one of the most creative, and the list of finalists in this years Big Tex Choice Award are both mouthwatering and revolting at the same time. The Dallas Morning News picked the 8 best new foods at the fair, and will vote for a winner on Labor Day. The Fair itself opens on September 24.
The eight finalists:
- Deep fried s’mores Pop-Tart – deep fried chocolate, peanut butter and s’mores Pop-Tart, battered and served with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
- Fried beer – beer filled battered and fried pretzel pocket.
- Deep fried frozen maragarita – margarita flavored funnel cake served in a salt rimmed glass
- Fried chocolate – candy bar and cherry stuffed inside a brownie, dipped in chocolate cake batter and fried. Served with cherry sauce and chocolate whipped cream.
- Fried lemonade – lemon flavored pastry baked and fried served with lemonade glaze.
- Fernie’s fried club salad – 12″ spinach wrap filled with ham, chicken, lettuce and tomatoes – deep fried and topped with croutons and served on a stick.
- Texas fried caviar – fried black eyed peas, served with “special sauce”.
- Texas fried Frito pie – traditional Texas Frito pie, battered and deep fried.
[Photo from Flickr/Traveling Fools of America]